Friday, January 18, 2013
How to speed up boot up time of Windows & How to optimize Windows performance
Most of these tweaks and procedures to rapid up and boost Windows PC systems apply to Windows XP. Similar techniques should apply to other versions of Windows such as Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 to accomplish the same objective: TO SPEED UP YOUR MACHINE.
1. Enable Quick Logon or Fast Boot in BIOS (F2 to setup).
2. In BIOS, configure to startup the operating system by hard drive (HDD) only.
3. Disable the Windows start up screen. Click Start > Run > msconfig > BOOT.INI > NOGUIBOOT.
4. Turn off Indexing Service. This service is only used by Windows for fast searching of files and folders. If you don't use Windows Search often, then disable it to free up memory and make windows faster.
a. Double click on My Computer > Right click on the C: drive > Properties > General > Uncheck the Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching > OK. Do this on the other drives on your computer.
b. Click Start > Run > services.msc > right click Indexing service > Properties > Startup type > Disabled.
5. Disable Windows Messenger service. Click Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Services > right click Messenger > Properties > Startup type > Disable.
6. Disable Alerter service. Click Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Services > right click Alerter > Properties > Startup type > Disable.
7. Disable other Services not needed. Using the same procedure and technique above. Disable the following services:
a. Background Intelligent Transfer Service
c. Fast User Switching Compatibility
d. Help and Support
e. NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
f. Performance Logs and Alerts
g. QoS RSVP
h. Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
i. Remote Registry
l. Upload Manager
8. Remove unnecessary startup items. Click Start > Run > msconfig > Startup > UNCHECK programs not needed. Examples are:
a. jusched - Java update scheduler
b. AdobeARM - Adobe Reader Manager
c. APSDaemon - part of iTunes. Also called Apple Push, it wirelessly syncs iPhones from iCloud. It's safe to terminate if you're not wirelessly syncing Apple Devices.
d. Microsoft Office - Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, etc. startups.
e. ctfmon process - Start > Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Languages > Details > Advanced > Check Turn off advanced text services
f. jqs process - Start > Control Panel > Java > Advanced > Scroll down at bottom and remove the check on Java Quick Starter
9. Uninstall softwares and programs you don't really need or don't use often.
10. Perform Disk Cleanup. Press Start > All programs > Accessories > System tools > Disk cleanup > Check Downloaded Program Files and Temporary Internet Files > OK
11. Remove Windows components. Hit Start > All programs > Accessories > System tools > Disk cleanup > More Options > Windows components > Cleanup > UNCHECK Indexing Service, MSN Explorer, Outlook Express and Windows Messenger.
12. Remove all but the most recent restore point. Start > All programs > Accessories > System tools > Disk cleanup > More Options > System Restore > Cleanup.
13. Disable System Restore (Optional). Right click My Computer > Properties > System Restore > Check the Turn off System Restore on all drives.
14. Disable Automatic Updates. This is really annoying. Why do Microsoft make computer owners miserable? Improve on this!
a. Right click My Computer > Properties > Automatic Updates > Select the Turn off Automatic updates.
b. A second option to turn off automatic updates is to Click Start > Run > services.msc > right click Automatic Updates > Properties > Startup type > Disabled
15. Disable Remote Assistance. Right click My Computer > Properties > Remote > Remote Assistance > Uncheck Allow Remote Assistance invitations to be sent from this computer.
16. Adjust for best performance. Right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Performance > Settings > Adjust For Best Performance.
17. Disable Windows Error Reporting.
a. Right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Error Reporting > Disable error reporting.
b. Another method to disable the Error Reporting Service is: Click Start > Run > services.msc > right click Error Reporting Service > Properties > Startup type > Disabled.
18. Run Antivirus to remove viruses, spywares, malwares and other computer infections that slow down your system. Panda Cloud Antivirus is one of the best free Antiviruses available for free download. Tried and tested, proven and effective!
19. Perform cleanup maintenance. Install one-click maintenance programs such as WinUtilities to execute the following worry-free maintenance tasks:
a. empty system clipboard data
b. empty recycle bin entries
c. clean Windows temporary files
d. clean internet temporary files
e. clean internet cookie entries
f. clean internet auto-complete forms data and password data
g. tidy up recent documents history
h. analyses and removes junk data from your disks
20. Clean your Registry. Install the free program Wise Registry Cleaner to clean your registry, defragment registry and tuneup your system.
21. Optimize your system. Download and install Wise Care 365, the best free program to optimise Windows and tune up your computer.
22. Defragment your hard drive. Use best free programs such as UltraDefrag.
23. Defragment boot time programs. In UltraDefrag settings, enable Boot Time Scan.
24. Optimize your hard disks. The Ultradefrag program can do Quick Optimization and Full Optimization of your hard drives.